INFORMATION & REFERRAL SERVICES FOR INDIVIDUALS & CAREGIVERS
BIAKS-GKC staff members will provide information about programs, services and healthcare providers serving individuals affected by a brain injury in Kansas and the Greater Kansas City area. Information includes social service agencies, healthcare agencies, physicians, counselors, rehabilitation facilities, disability benefits, etc.
Staff members strive to understand client needs and present appropriate material to aid in making informed decisions. BIAKS-GKC is part of the National Brain Injury Information Center. Call 800-444-6443 or 913-754-8883, extension 1, to reach our Program Director or to request help. BIAKS frequently receives calls regarding area resources, including names of rehab facilities and professionals that are familiar with brain injury. Since these resources are constantly being updated, it is highly suggested that our Program Director be contacted directly to give accurate and current answers to these questions.
The BIAKS-GKC publication, Traumatic Head Injury: Cause, Consequence, and Challenge, has provided guidance to thousands of people over the years. Known by many as the “Red Book“, this easy to read book was first published in 1987 and is now in its third edition. Written by Dennis Swiercinsky, Terrie Price and Leif Leaf, the “Red Book” explores the causes and consequences of brain injury, rehabilitation opportunities for regaining as much functional independence as possible, and how to adjust to “the new normal”of brain injury. Click here to order the “Red Book”. All proceeds go directly to our organization to help meet programming needs.
LINKS TO OTHER RESOURCES
- Find local resources throughout the state of Kansas: TBIoptions
- Kansas TBI Waiver
- Kansas Department for Children and Families (formerly SRS)
- Aging & Disability Resource Center(ADRC)
- Disability Rights Center of Kansas
- Department for Aging and Disability Services
- Assistive Technology for Kansans
- ABLE National Resource Center
- Administration for Community Living
- American Stroke Association
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center
- Cerebral Palsy Guide
- National Brain Tumor Society
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
- Social Security Disability Application
- Social Security and Disability Resource Center
- Social Security Compassionate Allowances
Facing a brain injury is a difficult challenge. The Brain Injury Association of Kansas and Greater Kansas City is here to help. Call 800-444-6443 or 913-754-8883, extension 1, to reach our Program Director.